TRIDENT GUM

Tuesday 17 December 2013

VIRGIN BOY COMEDIAN IS A #WARRI BOY::

VIRGIN BOY COMEDIAN IS A #WARRI BOY::

He is funny. His jokes can send you to an early grave if precautionary measures are not taken. He has defined his jokes as Christian, unlike the practice among most comedians. Virgin Boy, whose real name is Aghogho Tobore, grew up in the streets of Warri, Delta State, where he started his act. But today, he is one of the most sought-after comedians.
The comedian who was recently adopted by the Ondo State Governor, Olusegun Mimiko, opened up to NFC about his background, style and dreams.
Enjoy his story here:
How did you come into comedy?
My name is Aghogho Tobore. I went to school at the Petroleum Training Institute, PTI, Effurun, Warri, Delta State. I once worked with an oil servicing firm at Forcados Terminal, but I had to abandon my job due to my love and passion for comedy. And I have always found it fulfilling, so I felt I should just follow my heart.

It’s right to say besides your love for comedy, your monthly salary working at Forcado Terminal wasn’t satisfactory hence your foray into comedy? How true is that?
No. We were paid N20,000 per week making it N80,000 per month. But in comedy, I can anchor a mere wedding programme and get paid nothing less than N100,000. There is a lot of money there. If I anchor five weddings in a month, that would amount to N500,000 besides other events for the month.

From your analysis, it seems the love for money principally brought you into comedy?
No, no, no, the love and the passion for comedy brought me in. I have the talent in me. I cannot hide it. I am a Warri boy. I am from Warri South Local Government Area of Delta State. There is a friend of mine, a brother to me, Onyebuchi, a Gospel comedian, who actually brought me into Gospel comedy.

In order words, Onyebuchi influenced your coming into the industry?
Yes. Before coming in, I had always looked up to comedians like I go Dye, Gandoki, and Ali Baba. But the person that really pushed me into Gospel comedy is Onyebuchi. You can do Gospel comedy at corporate events, marriage celebrations and in some other events and you will be highly appreciated.

When did you come to Lagos?
I relocated to Lagos February, 2009. That was when I won the Best Gospel Comedian in the Niger Delta Area. Since I came to Lagos, it has been fun all the way. My first performance took me to A.M Express. My elder brother in London was watching me on A.M Express live. I never knew it and he was encouraging me through calls and that very day NTA was holding its dinner party and the MD, a woman, invited me to perform. I performed before the Minister of Information and Communications, Mrs Dora Akunyili and other ministers present and it was really, really fun that day. The MD told me initially that they wouldn’t pay me, but will only give me N5,000 transport fare. But after they saw my performance, they gave me N40,000. I was really excited. From there, I got another job from Starcomms when they organised a sendforth party for their secretary. The owner of Starcomms took me to his house and gave me N40,000.....

I know you'll definitely go places...more to your elbow...

No comments: