TRIDENT GUM

Saturday 22 February 2014

Government should regulate the comedy industry #Benji d Joke::

Government should regulate the comedy industry #Benji d Joke::

 
Benji d Joke, whose real name is Benjamin Onwume, came into limelight following his exceptional performance at AY’s Open Mic Talent show in 2010.  In a recent chat with Senior Reporter, Anthonia Soyingbe, he shares his intimate dreams about comedy with us as well as his other plans.  
What attracted you into the comedy industry and how has it been since you started? 
It has been tough and interesting. Like every humble beginning, I didn’t find it easy gaining the experience that I have today. In 2006, I went to a church with some of my friends for a program. The compere announced that whoever has any presentation, should register for a proposed concert.
On the d-day, the number of people that came for the competition made me decide not to come out if called upon. I actually told my friends about my decision. By the time my name was called, I was transfixed with fear, I didn’t come out at first. When my name was announced the second time, one of my friends shouted that I was around, I was given the microphone to do my joke, I got up the stage and couldn’t say a word. I just starred at members of the audience. I didn’t know I was already performing a joke as people were laughing.  I looked at them and asked why they were laughing.
They too asked why I was starring at them. That gave me the courage to get on with my joke. I then told them that we should just keep gazing at each other till it was time for me to drop the microphone. That increased their laughter. By the time the audience calmed down, my confidence had come back to perform other jokes. That was the beginning of my career as a comic. People came to congratulate me for a beautiful performance.
Right there and then, a lady told me she had a job for me. Ignorant of what she meant, I replied I already had a job. Sensing my  lack of knowledge of the business terminologies, she explained that there was a show coming up where Holy Mallam will also be performing. After the show, I was given N5,000.00. That was my first show.  I was so excited about it even my friends too. After that, I went back to school and didn’t perform until I came for my National Diploma holidays in Lagos. I heard of the AY Open Mic, someone encouraged me to go for the contest which I did and lost twice because of the stiffness of the competition.  In 2008, one of AY’s crew members called me saying I should come and give it a trial again that the last time I was here, I came second.  I hesitated but after much pressure from friends, I got the form, and so on August 17th 2008, I won. I was the winner of the second edition.  Seyi Law was the winner of the first edition.
In 2010, I had my own show, “Laugh for Change,” which recorded a very impressive turnout. To the glory of God, I have one of the most sort after jokes, in the industry. But the practice of pirating jokes by some upcoming comedians is killing the industry.
Where do you get your inspirations from?
We all have our different beliefs.  God is my primary source of inspiration. I also get ideas from what I see around me, from my own life, books, people and the environment.
What are some of your high points as a comedian?
I will never forget the first time I boarded a plane; I went to Abuja and Port Harcourt for a show with Basket Mouth. Comedy has opened so many doors for me. I am just a privileged street boy who has met great and influential people.
Who are those people you look up to in the industry?
All successful comedians are my role models, but I love Basket Mouth because he is someone who appreciates good works, he is out to help talented people, I love Bovi for his creativity and being exceptional, I love AY also for his creativity in the industry, he has given comedy another platform; comedy can host millions of people, in Africa. AY has the biggest show. I am proud to be associated with all these great comedians.
Can you recall any embarrassing moment since you started as a comedian?
You can’t rule embarrassments out, especially at clubs, I am getting used to some situations
Do you have any alternative to comedy?
I would have been a sports journalist if I wasn’t into comedy, because of my passion for sports
What are your guiding principles in life?
I read a book titled, ‘Mistake’. It says that the day we were born, we knew nothing about it, whether there was a doctor present or not. But what makes an individual is one’s ability to live above mistakes, since God is the only one above mistake.  If as a human, you are not yourself because you are trying to please people, then you are fake. If you don’t like me for who I am, fine; I am not afraid of making mistakes and of people laughing at me. When you are yourself and you make mistake, it seems normal but when you are not yourself, and make a mistake, it becomes disastrous.
I gathered from sources very close to you that women flock around you. How do you intend to handle female admirers and who is your ideal woman? 
I am not particular about tribe or complexion neither am I particular about physical attributes. I want good disposition to life. As for female admirers, I know God will help me to do that when it is right.
.What do you think of the explosion in the industry
I am not worried about the industry being an all comers affair. As you can see, the sky is endless and all the birds can fly under the sky without hitting the other. Anybody can do comedy as long as you have the talent. But what I am worried about are those who do not know about comedy; who just sit back in their houses rehearsing other people’s jokes. Some do it  to please their girlfriends or friends; others compose these jokes on their personal computers and send to their friends.
Comedy is a field where you always want to hear something new; creating jokes requires more creativity than composing a song.
How best do you think government can help in developing Nigeria’s comedy industry?
I think government impact should be felt in all aspects of Nigeria’s entertainment industry. It is high time government regulated the comedy business.

No comments: