TRIDENT GUM

Monday 25 November 2013

Gbenga Adeyinka is a complete Surulere #boy:



Gbenga Adeyinka is a complete Surulere #boy:

http://thenet.ng/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Gbenga-Adeyinka-460x3731.jpg
Here is what he said in an interview...
In a previous interview, you talked about you being a little rascal when you were young? Can you tell us one of your adventures?
I grew up with my grandmother. Growing up for me was very rascally. I grew up in Surulere Lagos. A lot of comedians will tell you that they were poor when they were young. In my own case, I won’t lie to you; we were not poor. In fact, I think I was too sheltered because I wanted to be on the street to know what was happening. So, often you find me where they were playing football because I wanted to be part of the whole fun. My parents would beat me like there was no tomorrow but I will always go out. I think I had a football addiction back in those days.
I am addicted to football and I support the best team in the world, Arsenal. I was sent to grind pepper one day. I dropped the pepper and started playing football and it was like a drug to me. So, when I was supposed to be back home and I was not there, my parents had to send somebody to look for me. That person carried the bowl of pepper and took it home. After the match, before I got home, I had torn my clothes.  When I got home, I told my parents that I was attacked by some guys who poured the pepper into the gutter. That day, I was given the beating of my life. My grandmother used to fast a lot during the lent period, but when I go to school I will eat and when coming back home, I will rub sand on my mouth so that it would be very dry. Basically, I would say I had fun while growing up. It was a constructive rascality that I had, not the kind of rascality that the young ones practise these days.

Will you say comedy is something one can learn?
My belief is that you can’t learn comedy. You must have it to develop it. It is just like football. If you like, start running from the old Toll Gate in Ojota, Lagos to Iwo Road, Ibadan every morning for the next four years; you can be fit as hell, but can’t be as skillful as Jay Jay Okocha. If Okocha does not run, he will still play football because he has it in him. So, it is something I have always had but I didn’t know what it was. So, you must have the comedy thing in you before you start to work on how to maximise it.

No comments: