TRIDENT GUM

Tuesday 25 June 2019

"The Epic Tales of Chief DIY" Veteran Eye (a Los Angeles musician) @veteraneye

"The Epic Tales of Chief DIY" Veteran Eye (a Los Angeles musician).




@veteraneye read the full story on link in bio @lagoscomedynewsmagazine

#lagoscomedynewsmagazine
July edition 2019

Can we meet you?

Peace and Blessings. I am Veteran Eye, an American Emcee (Rap Artist), from Los Angeles by way of Greensboro, North Carolina. I must say, it's a pleasure to connect with Nigeria in all manners, so thank you Lagos Comedy News magazine. I'm forward to my first visit to Lagos, since I first collaborated with Nigerian artist, Emmy Dee Light.

What do you do and how are you impacting positively to the growth of humanity in the world?

Well, I am a global independent artist. I was raised in the US by the Hip Hop Culture, in it's purest form. Hip Hop teaches us to spread "Peace, Love, Unity and Awareness" to oppressed communities around the world. This is my main focus when I write a song, whilst also making sure to be entertaining, as well, as educational. I am a descendant of the Cherokee Nation of Woodcraft Amaru Khan Indian, House of David, tribe of Gad, a history that has almost been completely erased and/altered by colonialism. My passion is to share in our indigenous truths globally, and to begin the rebuild of our Kingdoms, Utah to Nigeria,  Peru to China. As before mentioned, I have been collaborating with Nigerian musicians for a few years, and I am a big fan of David and Wiz Kid.

As an artiste, what project are working on right now?

I am currently in Europe, touring my latest release of "The Epic Tales of Chief DIY". For those who do not know, DIY is an acronym for Do-It-Yourself. I do everything artistically (except compose) myself. I book my tours, manage myself, publish myself, distribute myself, write, produce, videography, etc. So I am what we call a DIY artist. This album, Chief DIY, can be found at veteraneye.bandcamp.com along with "Ghetto Scholars", which features my first Afro-Beat collaboration, with Emmy Dee Light.

Have you been scammed before in the industry?

Of course. The music/entertainment industry is full of 2-bit hustlers, trying to take money from creatives. But it's just part of the game. You live and learn. It's all about Growth. Such is life. I have been doing music since 1997, so there is not much I have not encountered. Especially, living in Los Angeles for a decade+plus. I have never taken any record deals, because they are usually a scam themselves. Now I have a strong Lawyer, so we don't need to worry bout "Dem tings there".

If you're to become an animal which animal and why? (Funny question).

A Dragon. Like Quetzalcoatl. Yes, a beautiful angelic dragon. The dragon represents clarity, wisdom, and the opening of the crown chakra. The dragon is a high order, Messengers from the Creator. The dragon is in our blood, our bones, our dna. It's mythical, yet very real. Rarely seen, but unforgettable if you ever behold it. Revered yet feared. Or respected, I should say.

What is your definition of fashion?

Fashion is fashion. I grew up in the US, a very consumer driven nation. I was always into fashion, and as Hip Hop Culture, we have always driven the fashion world. However, I'm not into it much these days. I live by the code "It's not the clothes that make the man, rather the man that makes the clothes." I can throw on any garments and make it fresh, but I don't shop for big brand names and expensive fashion anymore. Or communities need to find a better way to use our monies these days. Fashion is not empowering our communities and children.

Between Tiwa Savage and Yemi Alade who would you likely to go on a date with?

Ahhh...this is tough, but I believe I have to go with Tiwa Savage. She is beautiful in looks and musically. Also, she is born 1 month before me in same year (1980). Do you think you can hook us up a date or what? Would me most appreciated. (Laughs)

A word of advice to the youths in the Niger Delta frustrated?

Well, as an Art Liberator, my most honest advice, is fight through Art. I mean, it's tough you know. Big Corporations have stolen land and resources all over the world, but we are resilient people. Hip Hop was birthed out of oppression and struggle. The kids in Nigeria Delta need to express thier pains through Art movement, and tell the world what is going on like this. Revolution thru poetry, painting, music, fashion, dance. And always call the Creator and send the cries to the gates of heaven. Hayah Hayah! Give thanks!

Photography credit: @especiallyordinary

Story credit: @therealebukapeters

Graphics credit: @takin_e

Published by :@lagoscomedynewsmagazine

2 comments:

VCoplin said...

Excellent interview, & great advice! VLC

VCoplin said...

Excellent interview, & great advice! VLC