TRIDENT GUM

Tuesday 15 July 2014

Growing up with only my mum was tough –Beauty Aghedo, 2011 Star Quest winner:::


Growing up with only my mum was tough –Beauty Aghedo, 2011 Star Quest winner:::

Beauty Aghedo, affectionately called B-Dash by her friends, is the 2011 ‘Star Quest’ winner, and the brand ambassador of Healing Wings Foundation. She is one diva who likes to explore new things. In this interview with Adaeze Amos, she speaks about her childhood and how she feels renewed each time she prays in tongues.
What is Star Quest all about?
It’s all about a talent hunt for singers and instrumentalists. I won it in 2011. Actually, the competition started as a regional ovation that went all over such cities as Lagos, Benin and Port Harcourt. I was auditioned in Benin and afterwards, they called me to Lagos for grand audition that would enable 36 people to be taken into the house. That was how I got into the house.
What was it like when you performed before a large crowd?
I wasn’t scared. I have never had a stage fright before in my life. Even on the night of the competition, I was home with my performances on stage.
When did you start singing?
I started singing when I was still very little. In fact, I was about six years old when I started singing. At first, I wasn’t allowed to sing before a large crowd because I was young and naive. I wasn’t even allowed to sing in my church until they discovered I could sing. I used to sing at home very well. I knew how to sing all the Celion Dion lyrics off hand. I used to be in my room then; I sang and screamed joyfully. I could say I discovered my singing talent at home before I started in my church and in my school.
Can you relive the experience when you won the ‘Star Quest’ in 2011?
It was exciting. I ran out of breath. It was shocking to me because, with all the good contestants in the house, I still won. I was indeed excited.
As the winner, what were your duties?
Actually, I won with my band which was known as The Beat. So, we were given a one-year recording contract in Now Music which is owned by Mr Ese Morufe, after which we were given a car each. We went for tours all over the cities of Nigeria.
What aspiration do you have for the future?
Actually, I just started my personal project as a single artiste. Apart from being a brand ambassador for Healing Wings Foundation, I dropped my single recently, entitled God Bless Me For Your Eyes. It’s a pop song.
Is Healing Wings Foundation a church or miracle group?
You can call it a miracle thing now that I’m there as the ambassador. Actually, it is not a church. We go about preaching awareness on cancer, empowering the youths, the vulnerable in the society, the women education as well. It is a package meant to develop our society.
Can you tell a little about your childhood?
My childhood was okay though I had some ups and downs. I grew up in Benin with my mother and dad, but when I was about eight years old, I lost my dad. It wasn’t really funny growing up with just a mum around. But thank God for everything. I had other siblings, it wasn’t only me. We were seven in number and I was the last child. I have a twin brother. My parents weren’t expecting us actually but we had to find our way into the world.
Who are you aspiring to be like in the entertainment world?
I won’t say I’m aspiring to be like anybody, but I had mentors while I was growing up. I really loved Beyonce a lot because of her voice and the energy she puts in while singing. At times, her songs are very emotional. She could really pull you out of yourself and make you listen to her songs all over again. They sound fresh each time you listen to them. I also love Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. At home, I love Victor Uwaifo. He is a legend.
When you are down, how do you get inspired?
At first, whenever I’m down, I would always love to be left alone. When I’m alone, I would start praying in tongues.
When did you learn to pray in tongues?
When I was in secondary school, I was a member of my school fellowship. I saw people praying in tongues and the atmosphere was charged. I was indeed excited and longed to be part of it. I was then asked if I would like to be filled with the Holy Ghost. Hands were laid on me and I saw myself praying in tongues. That was how I started. Each time I prayed in tongue, there is this renewal of strength I feel in my system. That makes me feel like I can do all things.

No comments: